Getting a Library Card
Your first library card at the Del Norte County Library is free to residents of Del Norte County with a permanent local address.
Once you get your card you must have it with you in order to check out library materials.
1. Fill out an application at either the Crescent City branch or the Smith River branch. A parent or legal guardian must sign the application for anyone under the age of 14.
2. You must have a valid ID with your photo. You may use a driver's license, ID card or a student ID.
3. Provide proof of your Del Norte County address (a P. O. Box is acceptable, however General Delivery is not accepted). You must have one of the following with your current address:
- Valid California driver's license.
- Valid California ID card.
- Printed checks.
- Rent receipt or utility bill.
- Any mail that you have received with your name and current address.
When you sign a library card application, you are agreeing to return borrowed materials on time and to be responsible for any lost or damaged materials.
If you are a non-resident, you may receive a limited use library card. Please ask the library staff for details.
Your library card brings you many benefits:
* Free use of books, videos, DVDs, audio books, music CDs, magazines and online resources.
* Your card is valid at the Crescent City branch and the Smith River branch libraries. You may also use your library card at all libraries in the North State Library Cooperative System. These libraries include Humboldt County, Butte County, Lassen District Library, Modoc County, Orland Free Library, Plumas County, Shasta Public Libraries, Siskiyou County, Tehama County, Trinity County and Willows Public Library.
* Use your card to check your library record, see when your materials are due, place holds and renew materials online.
* Free online access to selected databases that would otherwise charge a fee for use. Our list includes health, car repair, magazine articles, encyclopedias, test practice, homework information and much more. If you have internet at home, you can access this information when the library is closed using your library card number.
* Interlibrary loan services are available with your library card.
* Your library card is permanent but your contact information must be updated yearly.
Replacement Library Card: If your library card is ever lost or stolen, please notify the library as soon as possible. There is a $3.00 fee if you would like a replacement library card.